The Mustard Seed is Looking for Faith Companions!
Faith or Spiritual Companion
The Mustard Seed is a Christian humanitarian organization that seeks to address poverty in Edmonton’s inner city.
The Mustard Seed Ministries Team provides meaningful and practical support to community members, staff and volunteers. As part of this team, Faith Companions have the opportunity to better understand urban issues, contribute Edmonton’s inner city community by supporting individuals in their Christian faith journey, and become a part of the Mustard Seed community. Spiritual Companions primarily support community members by sharing in conversation, prayer, and providing Christian supported as requested.
Faith Companions will work closely with the Community Pastor and other Street Level staff and volunteers. They are accountable and ultimately responsible to the Community Pastor.
1. Setting up/preparing a quiet room, for prayer or sensitive conversation.
2. Engaging in conversations on the floor, interacting with community members.
3. Being available to converse with individuals about the Christian faith, or general life circumstances.
4. Praying with individuals when appropriate or required.
5. Providing Christian resources and materials to individuals when requested.
Requirements for faith companions:
1. Mature and strong in their Christian faith
2. Personal knowledge of how Christianity can positively change lives.
3. A strong biblical understanding and personal knowledge of Christianity.
4. Have the desire to come alongside individuals and respect them regardless of where they are in their beliefs/faith journey.
5. Comfortable facilitating conversation around biblical topics and Christianity.
6. Comfortable praying with, and for people they do not know.
7. Comfortable chatting with individuals, playing table games, cards, etc. during ‘drop-in’ or other appropriate scheduled times.
8. Understand the mission and values of The Mustard Seed.
The community Pastor and Street Level Manager will ensure that faith companions are adequately supported and trained.
Availability: Between 3 pm and 9:30 pm Monday to Friday
Between 2 pm and 9:30 pm Saturday
Faith companions should have a few hours available during these times at least one day each week and the volunteer coordinator will have responsibility for scheduling.
We will make every attempt to have faith companions volunteer in pairs.
Mustard Seed Statement of faith/Mission/Values
The Mustard Seed (Edmonton) is a non-profit, Christian humanitarian organization that responds compassionately to the needs of the inner-city’s less fortunate through mobilizing and working with the church and the community.
Doctrinal Statement of Faith
We believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, of all that is, seen and unseen.
We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the only Son of God, eternally begotten of the Father, God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, of one Being with the Father. Through him all things were made. For us and for our salvation he came down from heaven; by the power of the Holy Spirit he became incarnate from the Virgin Mary, and was made man. For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate; he suffered death and was buried. On the third day he rose again in accordance with the scriptures; he ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead, and His kingdom will have no end.
We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life, who proceeds from the Father and the Son. With the Father and the Son he is worshipped and glorified. He has spoken through the prophets. We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic church. We acknowledge one Baptism. We look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen.
Comments for this post have been disabled