On Saturday, May 12th, we will hold our third annual all-church Serve Day. Our goal for this day is to get people of all ages working together for the good of our city. We will tackle hands-on projects at roughly a dozen sites around Edmonton. Serve Day will provide us a chance to help several of our valued ministry partners in a variety of tangible, significant ways. In turn, this will enable us to be a blessing to the people whose lives are impacted by these organizations.
Here's a brief summary of the projects we'll be undertaking:
- Tegler Youth Centre Clean-Up: This will involve a team of roughly 15 people to do cleaning and yard work at the Tegler Centre in Beverly. We also are looking for 6-8 people to help put together volunteer packets for Tegler’s upcoming Kids in Action race at Rundle Park and 3 people who will help with food. Team members will work alongside youth from the neighbourhood.
- Mosaic Centre Clean-Up: We hope to send 12-15 people to the Mosaic Centre in NE Edmonton to help do some cleaning throughout the interior of their facility, as well as some yard work on their property.
- Mustard Seed Clothes Sorting: A team of roughly 25 people will help sort donated clothing at The Seed’s warehouse.
- Mustard Seed Community Garden Prep: We will send volunteers to help with community gardens in the neighbourhoods near the Mustard Seed. This team will work with the Mustard Seed to help prepare the gardens—an important source of food and community building for people in this area of the city—for the planting season. We would love to have 15 people to help out with this project.
- Mustard Seed Neighbourhood Clean-Up: A total of 15 people will be sent out into the neighbourhood around theMustard Seed to help with neighbourhood clean-up.
- PALM Ministries Painting and Cleaning: Big goals at this site will be to paint lines in the PALM parking lot and to construct a doorway in the basement of PALM’s Centre facility near downtown Edmonton (6 people needed). An additional 6 people are needed to help move furniture and shampoo carpets. There will also be opportunities for cleaning inside and outside the Centre, as well (e.g., window washing, flower bed and yard cleanup, toy sterilization). The Centre would also love to have some assistance from a plumber if one were available. In total, we hope to gather a group of roughly 20 people to serve at this site.
- Neighbour Centre Old Strathcona Clean-Up: Volunteers are needed to work alongside Neighbour Centre representatives in picking up trash around the Old Strathcona neighbourhood.
- Neighbour Centre Art Day Project: We are looking for around 4 volunteers to help with an art gathering for the adult community members served by the Neighbour Centre. We will be looking for donations of adult coloring books, colour pencils and paper, and acrylic paints for this event, too.
- Millbourne Community Life Centre Yard Sale: MCLC is holding a neighbourhood-wide garage sale on the same day as our Serve Day. We would like to send volunteers from the church to assist with set-up and some other essential functions. A group of 6-8 people is needed at this site.
- Bike Clinics: This year, we are aiming to hold bike clinics at both our Southeast Site and on the grounds of the Millbourne Community Life Centre. We need between 15-20 volunteers in order to pull this off, including at least 8 people with strong bike repair skills.
To sign up for one of these projects, click the button below.
Please note that we will need to have everyone who wants to participate in Serve Day sign up for specific projects no later than Sunday, May 6th. You will receive an email containing important info about your project (location, what to wear, any supplies you might be asked to bring) in advance of May 12th.
We hope that individuals, families, and GROUPS from across the life of our church will plan to join us on May 12th. This will be a great opportunity to serve others outside the walls of our church, to connect with people from across the life of the Central family, and to come away with a sense of accomplishment. You don't want to miss it!
Please let us know if you have any questions, and we look forward to seeing you there!
Check out the videos below to experience some of the exciting things that have taken place at the two Serve Days we've had so far.